haha its how I feel some days!!

haha its how I feel some days!!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Turkey Burgers on whole wheat buns:)

Turkey Burgers, Yum!! 

Turkey burgers with homemade bread crumbs

Homemade whole wheat bread crumbs
I know not everyone wants a turkey burger on a bun with lettuce and tomato, but I do!! I love these things, I also use this same recipe to make turkey meat loaf, which is also a big hit around here. I make my own whole wheat bread crumbs and use the crumbs in recipes that call for bread crumbs. They're full of flavor and smell amazing not to mention a lot healthier!!!

Turkey Burger recipe-

Whole wheat buns

1.5 lbs ground lean turkey
1 c homemade bread crumbs ( recipe below)
2 large eggs
1/2 medium onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp olive oil for cooking

Mix all ingredients well, shape into burgers and cook in a large skillet for 7 to 8 minutes per side in 1 tbsp of olive oil
Remove from pan and sit on a paper towel lined plate to collect the excess oil. Warm buns or toast your preference. I know not everyone likes onions so you can omit them if you wish, some also
prefer their onions on top the burger, again you can alter this recipe to fit your taste buds!! Serve hot with or with out cheese atop a whole wheat bun with sliced tomatoes and leafy lettuce, a little mayo, mustard or steak sauce.... It's sooo good!!


Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs

12 slices 100% whole wheat sliced bread- toasted really good
1/2 tsp garlic powder-I've also used pre-minced garlic from the grocery store.
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

I used a food processor to finely chop the toasted bread, once all the bread is in the processor and ground to your liking add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse until well blended. These can be frozen in a sealable bag or bowl for later use. If you don't have a processor that's ok just place bread in a large zip lock bag and use a large glass or rolling pin to crush the bread into bread crumbs, then add the rest of  the ingredients and mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment